Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for Damaging Winds, Large Hailstones And Heavy Rainfall
for Hunter, Central Tablelands and parts of Metropolitan, Illawarra, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:23 pm Wednesday, 8 December 2021.
Severe thunderstorms are continuing throughout parts of the central east and northern NSW.
A surface trough over NSW extending across QLD and a broad upper trough over eastern Australia will aid the development of thunderstorms across NSW this afternoon.
DAMAGING WINDS, LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL for the following areas:
Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Bathurst, Katoomba, Goulburn, Walgett, Dubbo and Lightning Ridge.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* After bushfires, heavy rain and the loss of foliage can make the ground soft and heavy, leading to a greater chance of landslides.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:25 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Arkell (33.7278°S, 149.383°E, 933m AMSL) Arkell,NSW set as my default location ›
Seven day forecast
Arkell 7 day forecast
Today: Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely during this afternoon and evening with possible heavy falls. The chance of a thunderstorm, possibly severe. Light winds becoming NE/SE 15 to 25 km/h in the morning. Daytime maximum temperatures between 17 and 24.
Forecast for Arkell (33.7278°S, 149.383°E, 933m AMSL) Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Summary Minimum 11° 10° 6° 7° 8° 10° 11° Maximum 20° 19° 15° 19° 20° 24° 26° Chance of rain 80% 60% 60% 50% 50% 5% 40% Likely amount 20-40mm 1-5mm 1-5mm < 1mm < 1mm < 1mm < 1mm UV index Extreme Extreme Very High Extreme Extreme - - Frost risk Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 15
Wind direction NE WNW WSW WNW WNW WSW SSW SSW E SSW NE WSW NNW WSW Relative humidity 91% 94% 86% 63% 74% 73% 81% 60% 76% 56% 79% 47% 64% 50% Dew point 15°C 16°C 12°C 10°C 8°C 8°C 9°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 13°C 11°C 13°C 14°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Arkell (33.7278°S, 149.383°E, 933m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase First quarter Full moon Last quarter New moon 5:18am EDT 5:47am EDT 8:04pm EDT 8:32pm EDT 9:31am EDT Waxing crescent First quarter Dec 11 Full moon Dec 19 Last quarter Dec 27 New moon Jan 03
Temperature for next 5 days
0 Wednesday Wednesday 20 1 Thursday Thursday 19 2 Friday Friday 15 3 Saturday Saturday 19 4 Sunday Sunday 20 5 Monday Monday 24 6 Tuesday Tuesday 26 7 Tuesday Tuesday 26
Rain for next 5 days
0 Wednesday Wednesday 40 1 Thursday Thursday 5 2 Friday Friday 5 3 Saturday Saturday 0 4 Sunday Sunday 0 5 Monday Monday 0 6 Tuesday Tuesday 0 7 Tuesday Tuesday 0