Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for Damaging Winds
for parts of Central, East Gippsland, North Central, North East, West and South Gippsland and South West Forecast Districts.
Issued at 11:30 am Wednesday, 17 August 2022.
Damaging winds developing early on Thursday.
North to northwesterly winds are increasing ahead of an approaching cold front during Wednesday, peaking in strength as the cold front is passing during Thursday.
DAMAGING WINDS for the following areas:
Central, East Gippsland, South West, North Central, North East and West and South Gippsland
DAMAGING WINDS averaging 65 km/hr with peak gusts of around 90 km/hr are likely over the Otways and the Surf Coast, and the central ranges from the early hours of Thursday, then extending to the eastern ranges during Thursday morning.
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to around 110km/h are possible over higher elevations above 1500 m over the eastern ranges, with blizzards possible about the higher peaks.
Winds are expected to ease below warning thresholds over the central ranges and Otways during Thursday afternoon, and throughout by late Thursday evening or early Friday morning.
Locations which may be affected include Apollo Bay, Mt Baw Baw, Falls Creek, Mt Hotham and Mt Buller.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Be aware - heat, fire or recent storms may make trees unstable and more likely to fall when it's windy or wet.
* Check that loose items, such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured. Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines - always assume they are live.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks. Heavy rainfall may also increase the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay informed: Monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency website/app/hotline.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5:00 pm AEST Wednesday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Doctors Flat (37.2987°S, 147.7486°E, 275m AMSL) Doctors Flat,VIC set as my default location ›
Seven day forecast
Doctors Flat 7 day forecast
Today: Partly cloudy. The chance of morning fog about the ranges. Slight chance of a shower about the ranges, near zero chance elsewhere. Light winds becoming N/NW 15 to 25 km/h in the late afternoon. Daytime maximum temperatures between 11 and 17.
Forecast for Doctors Flat (37.2987°S, 147.7486°E, 275m AMSL) Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Summary Minimum 1° 4° 4° -2° -2° 0° 0° Maximum 15° 15° 11° 11° 13° 12° 9° Chance of rain 60% 70% 60% 70% 5% 90% 80% Likely amount < 1mm 5-10mm 1-5mm 1-5mm < 1mm 5-10mm 1-5mm UV index Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate - - Frost risk High Slight Slight Severe Severe High High 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 13
Wind direction N N NNE N SW SW NNW WSW NNW N N N SW SW Relative humidity 99% 64% 89% 59% 97% 57% 92% 70% 84% 49% 82% 62% 94% 66% Dew point 4°C 6°C 6°C 6°C 5°C 2°C 4°C 4°C 0°C 2°C 2°C 4°C 1°C 2°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Doctors Flat (37.2987°S, 147.7486°E, 275m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Last quarter New moon First quarter Full moon 6:25am EST 6:52am EST 5:36pm EST 6:03pm EST 11:21pm EST 9:48am EST Waning gibbous Last quarter Aug 19 New moon Aug 27 First quarter Sep 04 Full moon Sep 10
Temperature for next 5 days
0 Wednesday Wednesday 15 1 Thursday Thursday 15 2 Friday Friday 11 3 Saturday Saturday 11 4 Sunday Sunday 13 5 Monday Monday 12 6 Tuesday Tuesday 9 7 Tuesday Tuesday 9
Rain for next 5 days
0 Wednesday Wednesday 0 1 Thursday Thursday 10 2 Friday Friday 5 3 Saturday Saturday 5 4 Sunday Sunday 0 5 Monday Monday 10 6 Tuesday Tuesday 5 7 Tuesday Tuesday 5